Leadership Development Camp posts record numbers and attendance
The American Red Cross Youth Leadership Development Camp for the Northern Californa Coastal Region was held at Camp Butano Creek in Pescadaro on August 5th through 8th. The multi-day camp involves youth throughout the Bay Area in Red Cross activities and provides leadership and learning activities to develop our future leaders.
Here are some of the key takeaways:
- 123 campers attended this year representing all four regional chapters – a first for the region!
- An additional 23 youth staff attended, including seven advisory board youth staff, all of whom worked to plan the camp since December 2018.
- 146 youth were certified in CPR/First Aid.
- All participants experienced Community Disaster Education and learned how to install smoke alarms/check their homes for fire safety preparedness.
- Campers studied the following components of Raid Cross, a role-playing simulation activity that helps students understand the basic rules of International Humanitarian Law:
- Prisoners of War
- Militia members making artillery decisions
- Army Generals making a decision far away from the battles themselves
Always a highlight, Raid Cross introduces many students to unique parts of armed conflict and Red Cross’ involvement in each one.
- Each student took part in the Diversity program designed to guide youth in understanding privilege. Students took part in a diversity circle to encourage recognition and appreciation of each other’s similarities and differences.
Thank you to all who attended. We hope to see you next year!
Please visit this link to view pictures from the event.