On average, home fires kill 7 people and injure another 36 — every single day in the United States. That’s why the American Red Cross launched its nationwide Home Fire Campaign in 2014 with the goal of reducing the number of home fire deaths and injuries.
A key component of the campaign is a series of Sound the Alarm – Save a Life smoke alarm installation events in which Red Cross volunteers, working with local fire departments and other partners, visit high-risk neighborhoods to offer to install free 10-year smoke alarms, replace batteries in existing alarms, and help families create escape plans. It is believed that the Sound the Alarm neighborhood visits, in which more than 1.5 million alarms have been installed, have already saved more than 550 lives throughout the United States since the Home Fire Campaign began.
During the month of May, teams throughout the American Red Cross’s Northern California Coastal Region were especially busy organizing and holding a large number of Sound the Alarm events.
These installations included the “Signature Events” that were part of an extra Sound the Alarm (STA) push that American Red Cross volunteers and our partners were making nationally from April 27 through May 12 this spring. The goal of this national effort was to install 100,000 smoke alarms during that three-weekend period.
Here’s a rundown of the STA activities in each of our region’s four chapter areas during the month of May:
California Northwest Chapter
- On May 11, teams installed 146 smoke alarms in 60 homes in Rohnert Park.
Bay Area Chapter
- On May 1, teams installed 191 smoke alarms in 53 homes in Antioch (see photos).
- On May 3, teams installed 42 smoke alarms in 20 homes in Marin County (see photos).
- On May 5, teams installed 24 smoke alarms in 13 homes in San Mateo.
- On May 11, teams installed 201 smoke alarms in 81 homes in Vallejo (see photos).
- On May 11, teams installed 243 smoke alarms in 115 homes in San Mateo (see photos).
- On May 11, teams installed 123 smoke alarms in 30 homes in Oakland (see photos).
- On May 11, teams installed 66 smoke alarms in 18 homes in San Francisco (see photos).
- On various dates in May, teams installed 56 smoke alarms in 19 homes at various locations in Alameda County (see photos of May 4 installation in Richmond).
Central Coast Chapter
- On May 19, teams installed 60 alarms in 22 homes in Santa Cruz.
Silicon Valley Chapter
- On May 4, teams installed 812 smoke alarms in 229 homes in San Jose (see photos).
• Supporting our ‘Sound the Alarm’ home visits: This work is made possible thanks to generous financial donations from our national partners: Airbnb, Delta, and Nissan; and our regional partners: Pacific Gas and Electric Company, CSAA Insurance Group, a AAA Insurer, Dignity Health, Linden Root Dickinson Foundation, Camille McCormack, State Farm, John and Marcia Goldman Foundation, Karen Turner Sanford, and Veritas.
• Thanks also to our amazing volunteers and partners, who are making our region’s contributions to this national Red Cross campaign so successful!
• Related stories:
- Red Cross workers see — firsthand — the value of the Home Fire Campaign
- Regional teams continue to ‘Sound the Alarm’ during April
• Support our region’s STA efforts: You can still participate in and support our Home Fire Campaign efforts by going to this web page.