Central Coast Red Cross announces 2018 Heroes Breakfast honorees
13th Annual Heroes Breakfast to be held on Friday, June 15
The American Red Cross of the Central Coast will be honoring a group of community members for their acts of courage or compassion, at the chapter’s 13th Annual Heroes Breakfast on Friday, June 15, in Aptos.
After careful consideration, a committee of local community leaders selected the 2018 Central Coast Hero Award recipients based on the degree to which their actions uphold the values of the Red Cross and have a positive impact on the residents of the Monterey, San Benito, and Santa Cruz Counties. The following is a list of the 13 heroes who will be honored at this year’s breakfast; descriptions of each honoree’s actions are also included below.
- Animal Rescue Hero: Darla Smith (Salinas)
- Disaster Services Heroes: James Gruber (Salinas) and Paul Guzman (Soledad)
- Education Hero: Mary Gaukel Forster (Capitola)
- Environment Hero: Shelby O’Neil (San Juan Bautista)
- First Responder Heroes: Dan Perry (Capitola), Forest Gleitsman (Corralitos), Ziad Bawarshi (Davenport)
- Humanitarian Hero – Adult: Jessica Berg (Aptos)
- Humanitarian Hero – Youth: Matthew Gibbs (Monterey)
- International Services Hero: Tammy Renfer (Salinas)
- Medical Hero: Arthur Dover, M.D. (Watsonville)
- Service to Armed Forces Hero: Angel Hernandez (Salinas)
The Heroes Breakfast on June 15 will take place at Twin Lakes Church, located at 2701 Cabrillo College Drive. Registration will open at 8 a.m. that day, and the program will run from 8:30 until 10 a.m. Tickets are still available for the event.
The annual breakfast is a community event that supports the lifesaving programs and emergency services the local Red Cross chapter provides for the nearly 750,000 residents of Monterey, San Benito, and Santa Cruz Counties. To purchase tickets to the breakfast, please go to: redcross.org/centralcoastheroes. To help with sponsorships or if you have other questions about the event, please call 831-626-5255.
Read the press release for more information about this year’s honorees.